Richard Dunwoody is one of Britain’s most successful jockeys - a champion who was at the forefront of English National Hunt racing in the 1980s and 1990s, winning a record 1,699 races before retiring due to injury in 1999, aged 35. Since then he has been a racing pundit for the BBC, a highly respected sports columnist, and an inspirational speaker.
Richard's wins included the Grand National (twice - on Miinnehoma and West Tip), the Champion Hurdle and the Cheltenham Gold Cup. He is best known for his partnership with the legendary Desert Orchid, on whom he won seven races. In recognition of his contribution to equine sport, he received an MBE in 1993 and in 2008 he was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Ulster.
Richard's enthusiasm and determination to overcome any hurdle goes way beyond clearing Grand National fences. In January 2008, he completed a gruelling 680 mile, 48 day trek to the South Pole un-resupplied and on a new route, one that Shackleton intended to take back in 1915. Then, from May to July 2009, he undertook the '1000 Mile in 1000 hours' Barclay Challenge, which involved walking one mile in every hour for 42 days, with minimal sleep throughout this period. This raised over £150,000 for four charities.
2009 also saw Richard’s appearance on the BBC hit show Strictly Come Dancing, with dancing partner Lilia Kopylova, an experience that he describes in his autobiography Method in My Madness as far more daunting than riding over Aintree's fences!
Given the above, it is not surprising that Richard is a superb Motivational speaker. He captivates audiences with his driving ambition, focus and determination....the same attributes that led him to become a household favourite in racing circles at only 21, and the which kept him at the forefront of National Hunt racing for 15 years. Key motivational factors that are addressed by Richard in his talks include:
- Controlling the controllable
- Choosing your attitude
- Goal setting
- Overcoming the fear of failure
- Learning from mistakes and dealing with setbacks
- Building a high performance team
- Doing the basics
- Focus and commitment needed to get to the top
- An insight into the World’s greatest racing event, the Aintree Grand National
- Conquering the South Pole
- The 1000 Mile Challenge and the people who inspired and motivated Richard
- Overcoming extreme nerves in the Strictly Come Dancing experience!
To book Richard as a Motivational Speaker, After-dinner Speaker, or for personal appearances at Golf Days and other Sports Events, contact a Prime Performers Booking Agent via the online booking enquiry form or alternatively call 020 7251 8222.
Richard is a lovely, professional man and was very approachable and amenable. His speech was great and my colleagues were very impressed that he was happy to speak to them afterwards and have pictures taken. Would definitely recommend him.
Richard made an inspiring presentation to our company....was at ease with the audience... and was very open and friendly with members of the company...We would highly recommend him as an inspirational speaker.
Kinnarps UK Ltd
Richard was a huge success and warmly received by everybody. There was a sense that we were welcoming home a national hero.
- Former England Rugby Player and Founder of the Ben Cohen StandUp Foundation which is dedicated to raising awareness of the long-term, damaging effects of bullying.
- Sports presenter and anchor of BBC Breakfast who currently hosts BBC One’s award winning Football Focus and regularly presents Match of the Day.
- John H Stracey is one of Britain's greatest World Boxing Champions of all time winning the British, European and World Welterweight Championships in a career spanning 17 years.
John H Stracey